In between throwing a tantrum about the oil bill, visiting my husband at the nursing home and cursing every hardship I face, I went back to the sewing room. I have fabric. If I were the grateful type, that’s something I’d be grateful for now. Maybe a bit grateful, but I would recognize it was only my foresight in buying tons of fabric that is keeping me sewing.
I have finished my Boho Hippie Blouse made from Rebecca Taylor’s Vogue 1367 pattern here:
The tech drawing shows the topstitching and the edge stitching that had to be done. I didn’t topstitch the sleeve/yoke area because frankly I was bored with changing thread colors and it looks fine without it.
Here’s my finished shirt. Please applaud the hand sewing. I hemmed it by hand and I attached one side of the neck binding by hand also. As far as following the pattern, the construction was pretty straightforward and I only changed the neck binding by applying it to the right side first and then folding it over and stitching it by hand to the inside. It looks better this way. The pattern said to attach it to the wrong side first and then edge stitch it in place on the front. That was a set-up for a disaster. Edge stitching at the best of times can look a bit off – so I opted for the hand finish.
Good news – the shirt fits. This sounds kind of silly, but with woven patterns I just never know how it’s going to feel on. I knew the bust would be big enough and then when I got to the sleeve I had a few hours of angst about the width in the upper arm. (Not that my arms are fat or flabby or anything – no. My pretend arms are thin. It’s just the real arms that are fluffy.) I worried for nothing because the sleeves are fine. I will probably increase the sleeve width in my next one. Just for the heck of it.
Here are some shots of the finished product:
And the back
Another front view
And one more!
This is a pattern that I will be keeping around for many more versions. It fits beautifully and looks cool on. It makes me feel good to wear it. And it wasn’t THAT much trouble to sew.
I will say that there was an awful lot of fiddly piddly sewing with this blouse. There is a continuous lap sleeve band, a cuff and all the edge stitching and topstitching. There was a ton of hand sewing because I elected to make the lower hem look perfect. The cuffs were also applied and then turned and hand sewn. However, even with all the fussing, this shirt is worth it. And there is lots of fabric waiting in the sewing room to make into this:
And that one! Plus I have some Milly silk in her Poppy pattern, some off-white silk with navy abstract crosshatching, etc. and more, etc. So I’m set for cool shirts.
All in all, a great pattern by Rebecca Taylor. I won’t make the pants, but the shirt is AWESOME!